An ancient temple worshipping the meritorious officials of the Nguyen Dynasty, Gods, and Goddesses for a glimpse into Vinh Long’s epic history.
In 1867, after seizing control of three provinces in South Vietnam’s western region, the French colonialists dismantled all fortresses, palaces, and cultural structures of the Nguyen dynasty. Amidst this devastation, a sacred temple was disassembled and transported by the French to a temporary location, away from its original sanctuary.
Fortuitously, the dedication and reverence of the local people shielded 85 royal decrees and a significant portion of the temple’s artifacts, preserving them in the sanctuary of Thien Duc village.
Upon the completion of the temple’s reconstruction, and to evade the prying eyes of the colonial authorities, the local community decided to rename the Hoi Dong Temple as the Cong Than Temple, later known as Vinh Long. From this point forward, a legend emerged within the folklore, narrating the establishment of the Cong Than Temple during the 16th year of Gia Long’s reign (1817) and its significance as a place of veneration for the 85 virtuous officials of Emperor Gia Long’s era.